Watching the time fly by…

I can’t believe it’s already the end of March!! What happened to the rest of the month?! Or the rest of the 5 months we’ve been here? Geez, time flies by way too quickly.

We’ve been staying pretty busy the last couple of weeks.

We started with the trip to Bandon and Langlois that Dave mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I found a few more pictures…

After we ate our delicious hot dogs at the Langlois Market we went across the street to the Wild Rivers Wool shop which has been closed on all of our other trips there. It’s an amazing shop, for crafty people like me anyway, and the owner is really nice so we stayed and chatted with her for at least 30 minutes. During the conversation we mentioned that we would love to find a farm or ranch somewhere that needed help. Just so happens we were talking to the right person and she invited us to come out to her sheep farm for a tour and lunch, of course we accepted! A couple days before we were supposed to go she asked if we’d be willing to help with some last minute sheep shearing, and of course we said yes! We got up early that next Thursday and went back to Langlois to help wrangle sheep for the shearer. It only took about an hour but we had so much fun with it! She has a small herd of Shetland sheep which are a smaller breed of sheep, they only weigh about 60 pounds so they’re easier to handle.  She also has a super cute and friendly Corgi. He and Dizzy sniffed each other for about 10 seconds then acted like they’ve known each other forever and just hung out, not really paying attention to each other. We will definitely be going back the farm at a later date to help clean up some land and learn more about wool processing, spinning, felting and hand dying. Can’t wait!

After leaving the farm we reached the intersection and sat at the stop sign for a few minutes deciding “Do we want to turn left and head home or turn right and head south?”. Since we’re blogging about it though I’m sure you can guess what we chose…we turned right… We drove south down Hwy 101 all the way to the California border, just because.

First stop was Cape Blanco State Park to see Cape Blanco Lighthouse. It sits on the western most point in Oregon and is an insanely windy but beautiful place. It was so windy I had the hardest time standing still just to get a picture.

Cape Blanco Lighthouse on a crazy windy day. I could barely stand still long enough to snap a shot. Side-note: We've taken our RV down that road....
Cape Blanco Lighthouse on a crazy windy day. I could barely stand still long enough to snap a shot. Side-note: We’ve taken our RV down that road….

Next stop was a place called Arizona Beach. We’ve seen it many times but have never stopped. It’s a great day use area. Right off the main highway but probably not visited by too many tourists. An awesome place to take kids for picnics and kite flying.

Then we just went straight on to the end of the state.

By then it was dinner time so we headed back into Brookings for pizza at our favorite pizza place in Oregon, Zola’s. The pizza is always amazing and we love the decor, especially the bathroom. All of the wall and ceiling space is covered in the artwork of the patrons who take advantage of the butcher paper and crayons on the tables and the bathroom is totally painted in chalkboard paint and there’s a bowl of chalk on the counter. It’s always busy and for good reason, fresh made wood-fired pizza and a great atmosphere. We stopped here about 5 years ago on our very first trip together down the Oregon Coast and come back every time we’re in Brookings.

We left just before sunset and made it to Harris Beach State Park just in time to see the sun disappear. Then we made the 2 and a half hour, 130 mile drive back home in the dark. By nightfall, Hwy 101 is very quiet. We passed less than 10 vehicles the whole way home and luckily only saw 1 deer!

Back at home we got a couple of things done in the last couple weeks. We finally built a pantry shelf in the kitchen. We’ve got the first half of it finished and will build the rest when we get settled in to the next park. And, I finally pruned my leggy geranium.

We also cleaned up a fallen cedar tree snag in the museum yard so there is a fresh stack of firewood for the incoming hosts! You’re welcome 🙂

We’ve been working every day since Friday and have three more days left. It’s Spring Break here in Oregon so we have been busy! The first few days we had absolutely gorgeous weather, on Tuesday it started raining and has been grey and wet since. Even with the wind and rain, Dave has been doing back to back tours, he loves it when we’re busy though!  Even the dogs are tired from greeting everyone.

We did find time, however, to finally get out on the Dunes on ATVs! A friend invited us out on his rigs and, even though one of the ATVs broke down and had to be towed/pushed back to the truck, we had an absolute blast! We can’t wait for the next opportunity to get out there and ride! And, we lucked out with the weather, it was a really nice, sunny day with no wind blowing sand in our faces.

So, we’ve been busy but we’ve had a lot of fun and learned some new skills.


2 thoughts on “Watching the time fly by…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s